Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Independance Day

I love the 4th of July. I love thinking about how lucky we are and we don't even realize it. I love thinking that people all over the country are doing just what we are doing on the same day, at the same time as the sun starts to fade. And, ummm, I love barbecues.
Every year on the 4th, I feel compelled to dance around while singing "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..." from the rooftops. I don't though. Just in my fabulous daydreams where all Americans are holding hands, swaying back and forth waving flags of freedom and unity. 
Oook, I'm done with that.

Our fourth was better than ever this year. My dad is here from Texas and a few other family members made their way by throughout the day, too. We spent the afternoon enjoying each other's company and of course being fully entertained by watching the kids.





As evening approached we started our classy front yard lawn chair fiesta along with all the neighbors around us. We even popped open backs of cars and trucks for even more fun. When's the last time you laid in the back of a car or truck? Do it. It's kid-like therapy.



And finally, after Aiden had asked for the hundreth time when it was going to get dark, it got dark. And explosions from all directions shot into the sky bursting with exclamations of gratitude, celebration, and freedom. Even with giant explosions all around us, our fountains, tanks, and smoke bombs took the cake with our kids. I'm not gonna lie, though, I moved off of my cozy back-seat-of-the-car spot and pulled up a lawn chair to the street to see the big kahunas.


And in my mood of country-ly (what's the word I'm going for here?) gratitude, Aiden and I cuddled on my lawn chair and talked about what the 4th of July stands for and why we are so lucky to live in America. And once Chase had swept up all the firework remains, and the kids, who had been up waaay past pedtime, were tucked in, I couldn't help but return to my street-side lawn chair to just sit there and watch the distant  fireworks that were now far and few between and listen to the kids laughing and crying who were all still out around us. Because this is America, and we can sit outside all night if we want to, and we can let our kids stay up all night and eat too much junk if we want to. Not to mention what else we all can do if we wanted to.

Ahhh. God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment